Is It Worth Installing a Smart Thermostat?
Are you thinking of installing a smart thermostat in your home? If so, you're not alone! Smart thermostats are becoming increasingly popular, as people are looking for ways to save money and energy. But would installing a smart thermostat in your home actually add up to significant savings? Let's explore the pros and cons of smart thermostat installation and help you decide if one is right for you!
How Much Money Can You Save with a Smart Thermostat?
You've probably asked yourself questions like "do smart thermostats save money?" or “do smart thermostats save energy?” After all, saving money (and energy) is one of the biggest reasons to invest in a smart thermostat for your home! The good news is that a smart thermostat can help reduce your electricity bill and energy consumption. So, the real question is - how much will you actually save?
To get an idea of how much a smart thermostat could save you, start by locating your electricity bills for the past year. Add up the total amount your household spent on electricity last year, and then multiply that number by .10 (10%). This is the amount you can expect to save on electricity costs by installing a smart thermostat in your home.
When you compare these savings to the cost of the smart thermostat itself and then remember that those savings will continue year after year, you can really see how much money your smart thermostat will save you over time.
Reduce Thermostat Battles Among Family Members
Is your household constantly fighting over your home's thermostat settings? Different family members may have their own ideas about how cool or warm your living spaces should be. And unfortunately, these opposing ideas can turn into heated battles over thermostat control!
In many ways, a smart thermostat could help reduce these battles and help settle the matter once and for all. With a smart thermostat, you can create individualized settings for different times of the day or even for each member of your household. With a smart thermostat, you can create different settings for when you're home, when you're asleep, when you're away, and even for different seasons. This way, everyone in your household can be happy with the temperature in your home - no more fighting over the thermostat! This alone may be the best reason to get one!
Related Topic: How a Smart Thermostat Can Save You Money
Have you ever had to get up several times a night to adjust your thermostat? Or keep adjusting it throughout the day to get your indoor temperatures just right? Unfortunately, this is all too common for many people, even if you have a programmable thermostat.
A smart thermostat could eliminate this constant adjusting and help you always keep your home at a comfortable temperature. With smart thermostat features like geofencing, your thermostat can automatically adjust the temperature in your home based on your location. So, whether you're at home or away, your smart thermostat will make sure your home is always comfortable - without you having to lift a finger! Eliminating the hassle of adjusting your thermostat could easily justify the cost of buying one.
What Are the Disadvantages of a Smart Thermostat?
While there are many great reasons to upgrade to a smart thermostat, there are also a few disadvantages, as well. For example:
- Initial Expense. The initial cost of a smart thermostat, plus professional installation, can be significant, especially if you need to purchase additional equipment.
- Security Issues. There have been some concerns about smart thermostats and security. While most smart thermostats are very secure, there is always the possibility of hacking.
- Are You Always Home? One of the biggest advantages of a smart thermostat is its ability to save energy when you're away from home. But if you're always home, your smart thermostat may not save you as much money as you'd like.
- Will You Be Moving Soon? If you think you may move within the next few years, it may not make sense to install a smart thermostat in your home right away. After all, you can't take it with you!
- Do You Have Radiant Heat? If your home has radiant heat, a smart thermostat may not work as well as you'd like. That's because radiant heat doesn't respond as quickly to temperature changes as other types of heating systems.
- Difficult Installation. While a few smart thermostats are easy to install, some can be quite difficult. For this reason, it's really not a good idea to try and install a smart thermostat yourself! Instead, you should have a qualified professional come and install it for you. In most cases, this will increase the initial cost of the unit.
Professional Smart Thermostat Installation
If you're thinking about upgrading to a smart thermostat, it's important to do it right. That means having it installed by a qualified professional! Not only will this ensure that your smart thermostat works properly, it also gives you peace of mind for years to come.
To get started, contact your local HVAC professionals at Aire Serv. We can ensure your smart thermostat is installed correctly, test your indoor air quality, perform AC maintenance, and keep your system running smoothly all year long. To learn more, call us or schedule an appointment online today!