Sure, you know carbon monoxide is odorless, colourless, and potentially deadly, but do you know how to detect it? Learn why it’s vital for homeowners to understand the dangers of carbon monoxide and the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
Yes! It’s important that every home have at least one carbon monoxide detector. If the CO alarm goes off, gather your family members and leave the house immediately. Then call the fire department.
Carbon monoxide is colourless, odorless and tasteless. A functioning carbon monoxide detector is the only way to say with certainty that your space is or is not currently impacted by leaking carbon monoxide.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that homeowners install, at minimum, one carbon monoxide detector per floor. That means that a two-story home with a basement would require at least three carbon monoxide detectors, whereas a small, one-bedroom or studio apartment might only need one. Installing a detector on every level of your home will help detect a carbon monoxide leak before it has the chance to make its way to the next floor, providing early warning.
It’s also recommended that homeowners install additional carbon monoxide detectors outside of bedrooms, so each has its own dedicated carbon monoxide detector. This is important because sleeping persons are especially at risk; they typically succumb to CO poisoning unless woken up by an alarm. Carbon monoxide detectors need to be close enough to bedrooms to wake inhabitants should a leak begin in the middle of the night.
There are two rules for properly maintaining your carbon monoxide detectors:
- Test your carbon monoxide detectors and change their batteries twice a year. A good rule of thumb is to give your CO detectors fresh new batteries when daylight savings time begins and ends (at the same time you test your home’s smoke detectors).
- Even if they seem to be functioning properly, replace your carbon monoxide detectors every five years. This will help mitigate the risk that your CO detector stops functioning part way through the year.
The only way to detect deadly carbon monoxide and know that you need to act quickly to remove yourself and your family from the home is a carbon monoxide detector. At Aire Serv, we understand that major appliances like furnaces are a leading cause of carbon monoxide exposure, which is why we’re dedicated to installing and maintaining high quality HVAC systems throughout the US and Canada.
Our Total Comfort Furnace Tune-Up is an annual furnace inspection, cleaning, adjustment, and safety check designed to keep your family safe (and warm) all season long.
Ready to breathe easy? Schedule your Total Comfort Furnace Tune-Up online or contact the Aire Serv location nearest you.
Did you know that gasoline-powered portable generators are a common cause of carbon monoxide exposure? Learn how to safely operate your portable generator from Mr. Electric, a fellow Neighbourly company.