There's nothing like frosty cool comfort in your Halton home or commercial business on a hot summer day. When the sun is beating down outside, just stepping into a perfectly cooled, humidity-controlled room can instantly make you feel refreshed. Professional AC service is also like a cool breeze on a hot day.
Many property owners don't realize that their air conditioner requires regular AC service and repair to keep functioning smoothly and efficiently during the humid summer months. When your AC grinds to a halt on the hottest day of the year, you need professional assistance to get it up and running again, so you can breathe an ice-cold sigh of relief. You could also avoid that scenario altogether with annual maintenance checkups.
If you suspect that you need professional AC service, you likely have some questions about how it all works and the best ways to keep your air conditioning unit in good shape—and Aire Serv of Halton has answers! This guide offers expert advice in response to frequently asked questions about AC service in Halton.
What Are the Types of AC Systems?
You probably already know what type of air conditioning unit you have installed in your home or business, but it's good to be aware of the various options in case a new installation or replacement unit is in your near future.
Split-System & Package ACs
These are both types of standard central air conditioners that move air through your building's ductwork to cool rooms. The difference is that a package system combines heating and cooling in one unit, while a split-system keeps the heating and AC in separate units.
As the name suggests, this type of system does not require ductwork, which makes it a good option for older homes that don't already have ductwork installed. Individual units in each room are linked to an outdoor compressor.
Portable, Wall, & Window Units
These small, self-contained units are capable of cooling one or maybe two rooms. They don't require ductwork or an outdoor compressor, but they also cannot efficiently cool or dehumidify an entire house. They usually sit on a window ledge or the floor and are vented out through a window.
Also known as "swamp coolers," these units use evaporation to remove heat and are most effective in dry climates. Due to the humidity Halton experiences from the Great Lakes, they aren't the best option for our climate.
What Is Included in Professional AC Service?
Air Conditioning services encompass everything needed to keep your unit in ideal condition, including installation, annual AC maintenance, and AC repair service. When you get AC service for your unit, a competent, experienced service professional will check up on multiple areas of potential concern—such as the filter, coil fins, condensate drains, and window seals—and provide maintenance to any parts that are dirty or in rough shape.
Aire Serv's AC maintenance, installation, and repair services include:
- Product installation & replacement
- System maintenance
- Cleaning & system tune ups
- Evaporator coil & condenser coil replacement
- Cleaning dirty condenser coil or dirty evaporator coil
- Condenser unit repair
- Ductwork repair
- Replacing dirty air filter
- Refrigerant leak repair
- Eliminating strange noises
- Replacing clogged filters
- Air handler or heat pump maintenance
- Repairing & replacing defective fan motors & compressors
- Clearing a clogged condensate drain
- Straightening bent coil fins
- And more!
How Often Should an Air Conditioner Be Serviced?
While it can vary depending on the type and brand of unit you're using, most experts recommend annual AC service from HVAC service professionals. Even if you aren't noticing any issues with your air conditioner, it accumulates dust and dirt over time that lower its energy efficiency, and that can end up costing you more on your utility bill. Excess dirt and dust also affect the filter and not only limit its ability to filter the air but can actually eject more allergens into your home or business. Regular servicing will ensure that it is functioning at maximum efficiency and is safe to use.
When Should an Air Conditioner Be Serviced?
Since you use it most in the summer, spring is the ideal time for AC service because then you'll have the peace of mind of knowing that it's in great condition and ready to tackle the warmer months without struggling. But, if you notice issues with your air conditioner at any time of the year, sooner is better than later—problems will only worsen over time and could cause more severe damage that will be costly and time-consuming to repair.
Should I Repair or Replace My AC?
This is one of the most common questions we are asked, and of course it all depends on several complex factors. In some cases, our service professionals can just perform one or two simple repairs and you're ready for summer—but in other situations, replacement will be more effective, both financially and for your long-lasting comfort. Here are four key factors to consider:
- Age of Unit: If your AC is more than about a decade old and giving you trouble, costly repairs aren't worth it because it's nearing the end of its expected lifespan.
- Extensive or Expensive Damage: If the unit needs multiple complicated repairs or an expensive part—suppose the compressor coil has stopped working—then repair will be more costly than replacement.
- Frequent Repairs: When you have an AC service company on speed dial because your unit is malfunctioning frequently, total replacement makes more sense than repeated service calls.
- Low Energy Efficiency: If your unit is not energy efficient, it's hard on the environment and is causing your utility bill to increase as it uses more energy to cool your home. Replacing it with a newer, more efficient model will save you money and be kinder to the planet.
What is a SEER Rating?
SEER is an acronym for Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio. A SEER rating measures the maximum cooling efficiency of your air conditioner—the higher the rating, the more efficient the unit is. Most new AC units have a SEER rating that ranges between 13 and 21. While we don't necessarily need the highest SEER ratings in Ontario given the climate, higher ratings indicate that the unit is more environmentally friendly and will cost less on your utility bill.
How Can I Keep My Air Conditioner in Good Condition?
As we've mentioned, annual AC service from a professional is the best way to maintain your air conditioner. However, there are some things you can do throughout the year to help keep it running smoothly. Here are a few basic AC maintenance tips:
- Trim trees, bushes, and other plants so they're at least a few feet away from outdoor compressor units.
- Keep outdoor units in shaded, low-traffic areas if possible.
- Install a programmable thermostat that will reduce wear and tear by only allowing your AC to turn on at the times of day when you need it.
- Realign bent fins by pushing them back into place with a butter knife; they are delicate, so only use gentle pressure and don't insert the knife more than about a half inch.
- Change the filter twice per year, in the spring and fall.
- Regularly brush dirt, dead leaves, and glass clippings off your outdoor compressor.
Trust Aire Serv of Halton for Professional AC Service, Including Maintenance, Repairs, & Installation
Whether you're in Halton or a nearby area such as Milton, Glen Williams, or Georgetown, you can rely on Aire Serv of Halton for quality workmanship and excellent customer service. We also provide emergency AC service 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Call us today to book an appointment for AC maintenance, repairs, or installation with our friendly HVAC service professionals!