Carbon Monoxide Safety Checklist

Carbon Monoxide Safety Checklist

Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of poisoning deaths across the nation annually. With winter on its way, has your family performed essential carbon monoxide safety measures? Complete this checklist to ensure you’re covered when it comes to carbon monoxide safety.

How Do You Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Know Where Carbon Monoxide Leaks Occur

All appliances and equipment that burn natural gas, propane, oil, charcoal, or wood can cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Fireplaces
  • Furnaces
  • Grills & ranges
  • Water heaters
  • Generators
  • Power Equipment
  • Lawn mowers
  • Cars
  • Any appliance with a pilot light

Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Where do you put a carbon monoxide detector? Put one detector on each level of your home, as well as one beside each sleeping area. Install them on the ceiling or wall, in an open/accessible area, away from furniture and drapes.

Replace Detector Batteries

Before prime heating season, a total of twice per year.

Test Your Detector(s).

No less than once a month, keeping detectors clean with a gentle vacuum or can of compressed air only.

Replace Detectors.

Every 7 years to ensure function and protection from the latest in safety technology.

Keep an Eye on Venting

Keep all outdoor vents and chimneys free of nests, debris, snow and ice to ensure the flow of exhaust.

Schedule an Annual Professional Furnace Maintenance and Inspection

A professional inspection can detect maintenance issues and leaks invisible to the naked eye that could put you and your family at risk.

Have Chimneys and Flues Cleaned and Inspected Annually

Dirty, blocked chimneys can result in carbon monoxide buildup in the home.

Don’t Neglect Combustion Appliances

Ensure their correct, professional installation and venting, scheduling regular professional maintenance according to manufacturer specifications.

Know the "DON’T’S" of Carbon Monoxide Safety

  • Never leave a car running in an attached carport or garage.
  • Never use ovens or stoves to heat the home.
  • Never operate a generator or grill indoors.
  • Never operate a generator or grill near a window, where fumes could leak in.
  • Never block ducts used by water heaters, clothes dryers, or ranges.

Learn the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Moderate:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Nausea

Severe:

  • Vomiting
  • Mental confusion
  • Loss of coordination
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Heart and brain damage
  • Death

Have a Plan in the Event of Emergency

Make sure your family knows what to do if the detector goes off:

  • Immediately vacate the home.
  • Meet at a pre-determined, outside location with clean, fresh air.
  • When all family members are accounted for, contact the fire department.
  • Do not re-enter the home until it has been professionally inspected, aired out, and given the "all clear."

Checking off your list? Ensure carbon monoxide safety with professional maintenance and an inspection. Contact Aire Serv® today.

Categories: