This fall, make sure your home gets the air that you need, unpolluted. Lots of people don’t know that everyday activities can cause the air in your home to become polluted. Here is a list of some things that you might not realize are polluting your home:
- Not changing your air filter: This is something that should be done at least once every three months. Air filters keep the dust and dirt out of your air vents. If you don’t change the air filter, this can result in poor air quality and even lead to your system running inefficiently.
- Spraying air fresheners: These sprays might make your home smell like a cinnamon roll or sweet fruit; however, they are unregulated and untested. Manufacturers of these air fresheners are not required to disclose what chemicals are in these. To make your home smell sweet this fall, try boiling an orange peel, white cloves and 2 cinnamon sticks.
- Cleaning materials: The same things that make your home clean could be polluting your air. Cleaning materials use lots of chemicals that are harmful to breathe in; we recommend using natural alternatives when cleaning your home.
- Smoking: Air ducts recirculate the air from smoke, which in turn leads to poor air quality. Part of the reason this is very crucial is because smoking is linked to certain cancers. One thing you can do to help is by changing your air filter frequently.
Things that poor air quality can affect:
- Your allergies: Things like pet dander, dust, dust mites, pollen and mould all affect your allergies and your air quality. The nice thing about all of these is that they can be prevented. Wash your pets regularly, keep your house clean and take allergy medicine.
- Long term effects: Lung problems are linked to people with poor air quality in their homes. Changing your air filter every 60-90 days and not smoking is crucial to preventing this.
- The worsening of asthma symptoms: Your air quality is directly linked to asthma if you have it. One thing you can do to help this is by vacuuming frequently and changing your air filter.
- Unpleasant odors: Many odors result from things like not changing your air filter, smoking and even from not cleaning indoor pets often enough.
If you are ever unsure about the quality of your air, call Aire Serv to run an Indoor Air Quality test.